21 June 2010

OPT OUT OF DIRECT MARKETING!

[ UPDATE 2012-03-19: you can now also go to https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/ ]

Pertinent information:

  • Direct Marketing opt out register is located here.
  • If you want to, you can also SMS your information as per the website's instructions: "SMS DMA followed by your ID number (this is crucial) to 34385".
  • If at some stage you find you're not getting reached by the people you would like to be reached by (e.g. a charity organisation), you can opt back in by de-registering: To de-register, contact the DMA on 0861 362 362.

Story follows:

Around half an hour ago I received a call that drove me to the brink of beating down on Cell C. I got this call from 0878051200 from an agent named Audrey. I told them they must have the wrong person because I don't have a contract with Cell C. She then repeated my FULL name (middle name too) and number, and I confirmed it was me but there must be some mistake. She then said I had been pre-selected to qualify for a free phone. Woohoo! Then it turned there was a catch: It's a contract. I told her no thank you, but that I am very concerned as to how Cell C obtained all of my personal information. She said it was pooled from a selection of 200 numbers from VODACOM, MTN, and such. I said this was an invasion of my privacy and I wanted to be opted out of this and also find out who gave my personal details out. She then cut me off.

Not one to go down without some sort of a fight when it comes to principles and personal rights, I then phoned her back. I got put onto the waiting queue for Cell C and eventually got through to - surprise surprise - CUSTOMER CARE. The agent that answered was a bit surprised, and then told me that I can get off these marketing lists if I phone METONYMY on 031-5666592. 

I got through to reception, and asked to speak to someone about removing me from marketing lists. I was told to "kindly phone" 031-5663352 and ask the lady who answers (Rachel) to put me through to Natalie. Damn that Bioshock "would you kindly"... anyway, I got through to Natalie, and she has been incredibly helpful. I asked her if she would kindly explain how my details are obtained, and she then explained the entire process to me.

Essentially there are around eight or nine agencies that do consumer datamining in South Africa, with METONYMY being one of them. They are requested from time-to-time to extract data which is publicly accessible, and then compile these into bundles sent out to clients. Similar to how I can go to an agency and ask for the "last five people who bought properties in Umhlanga" (I didn't know I could, or if I actually can). Apparently it's all public information.

Interestingly, there's a DMA list (direct marketing association) for South Africa which you can be put onto for EXCLUSIONS, and then people like Cell C and Virgin etc. are obliged (by law) to not harass you. 

In the meanwhile, Natalie very kindly added my ID number and cellphone onto their exclusion list which means in future METONYMY will not spill the beans on my personal information. 

For the time being, there's a law tabled but not yet in effect in South Africa which governs who can harass you and who can't. Basically we'll need to subscribe to these laws to be nagged, but for now, it's fair game for anyone.

To add yourself to the DMA SA list, go to their website and add yourself to their exclusion list by hitting the top right menu option "OPT OUT". You'll be taken to another webpage which will explain to you how it's done. You'll have to follow their link to the main page for the opt out register, located here.

If you want to, you can also SMS your information as per the website's instructions: "SMS DMA followed by your ID number (this is crucial) to 34385".

If at some stage you find you're not getting reached by the people you would like to be reached by (e.g. a charity organisation), you can opt back in by de-registering: To de-register, contact the DMA on 0861 362 362.

WHO SAYS MY BLOG ISN'T HELPFUL SOMETIMES??

No comments: