Out of luck? Need some spare cash? Retired with nothing to do?
If you're passionate about Durban and want to be involved in medical research (as an ambassador, not a test subject) then why not try out for a K-RITH Ambassador part-time post?
Details as follows...
K-RITH Ambassadors (part-time contractors)
KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV
Nelson R Mandela Medical School
REFERENCE NUMBER: AMB/SEPT/001/2011
You will be responsible for planning, preparing and guiding K-RITH visitors to areas of interest within Durban and surrounding areas. Your role includes both driving and guiding. You will be responsible for ensuring your guests have an informative, safe and enjoyable experience.
1) Recently retired lecturers, researchers, teachers and support staff
2) Long-time residents of Durban (10+ years)
3) Experienced and safe driver (conviction free)
4) A valid Code B Driver’s License and own safe and reliable transport
5) Excellent communication skills both written and spoken
6) Comprehensive understanding of Durban’s history and culture (Ideally the ambassadors should have a deep understanding in at least one the following areas:- Durban’s art deco architecture, Museums, Craft, Political History, Social Services, Health Services, Traditional medicine, Religions in Durban, Natural heritage sites )
7) Ability to undertake research and plan a Durban tour and prepare tour information materials
8) A proven track record of being reliable and dependable
9) Fun, enthusiastic, fit and eager to entertain people
10) Very organised with demonstrated abilities to multi-task and foresee problems down the road with terrific problem solving skills
Terms and Conditions of Part Time contract
1) You are required to make use of your own vehicle (when there are more than two guests we will provide you with K-RITH vehicle and driver)
2) Your vehicle must be well maintained and serviced at all times
3) Ambassadors must participate in a 1-day K-RITH induction programme so they are familiar with the K-RITH research mission
4) Appointed Ambassadors must attend two training workshops:-
(a) Advanced – Defensive Driver training
(b) First Aid
1) You will be remunerated at an hourly rate of R100 per hour
2) Use of own car to transport K-RITH visitors will be reimbursed at R3.05 km per hour (sic)
3) You will be reimbursed for all costs when hosting a meal for the K-RITH visitors
Applicants are required to email a detailed CV and cover page to firstname.lastname@example.org, highlighting their experience in each of the requirements listed above, together with the name, telephone no. and e-mail address of three referees who are available to comment on your acquired relevant experience in relation to the post being advertised. The post reference number must be indicated in the subject line of the email.
Telephonic enquiries pertaining to this post may be directed to the same person at 031-260 4120. Applicants who do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Application closing date:
The closing date for receipt of applications is 15/10/2011. K-RITH reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, K-RITH reserves the right not to make an appointment. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.